Friday, February 12, 2016

Moments to ponder . . . .

One of my current goals is to post regularly to this blog -- Tuesday and Friday mornings.  I have a notebook with all the dates entered for the next couple months and I try to plan at least of half of my posts so that my brain and my hands can be working towards those topics.  Every now and then, there is a blank space or my brain just can't get "into" the intended topic. 

Today is one of those days.  I woke up feeling dull.  I hate feeling dull. 

There is a topic in my planning notebook, but it didn't work out -- perhaps because I was feeling dull yesterday, too?

So the question on days like this (as you know) is how to shed the dullness and get oneself moving in a positive direction.  I'm quite introspective and understand that there are two thought routes open to me -- go deeper into the dullness or lift oneself out of it.

I'm going for LIFTING!!
It's cold outside (17F) but my bird feeders are busy and I'm noticing that the tufted titmice are singing their territorial songs and the male goldfinches are showing little patches of yellow -- spring is just around the corner!

The office and the studio are drowning in clutter I haven't put away (yet) but I changed all the quilts in the living room from Christmas to the blue (winter) set -- my kind of redecorating -- no messing with paint!! 
 And there are two projects moving along at a steady pace in the studio!
Smitten is my APQ Resolution project for February -- don't you love the fabric combination in that one on the lower left?!?
The value palette of this "giant rick-rack" quilt is a challenge for me but my younger daughter requested a quilt specifically for her guest room -- how marvelous that after all the quilts I've pushed at her and her family, they still want another one!!
Both of my workshops at the Lake Metroparks Farm Park quilt show have reached the minimum enrollment!!  Good news for me and my students!!
(It's not to late to join one of them!)
And not only is this hexagon mosaic quilt no longer just a "wishlist" project, it's a ribbon winner! 
A great compliment. 
I happened to be standing around the corner from it last night at the show opening when a couple judges were looking it over -- they were surprised that it is entirely machine-pieced. 
"Aweeeesooome" as my grandchildren would say!
Mission accomplished!!
Okay!! 
Feeling much better -- thank you for providing the incentive to lift myself up this morning!
Today will be just fine!!

Reflect on all the love you get from YOUR people this weekend as we celebrate Valentine's Day!!

Mary Huey








5 comments:

  1. Mary, wow, I love your sewing room!! I'm happy to hear of your success!! Beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your win! Love all the stars in Smitten and your blue room. Welcome back from the doldrums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Mary! Happy Valentines Day and congrats on the hexagon win. Your design is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your win Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your ribbon! Your quilts are beautiful! I need to get motivated to start on something. Sometimes I just hang in limbo.

    ReplyDelete