Friday, October 9, 2015

My First Mini-Swap!!

A couple weeks ago, I shared some of my work in creating this mini quilt for the Kaffe Mini Quilt Swap.
It is now in it's new home with Debi. 
 
I've been waiting patiently for mine to arrive and Thursday morning, the mailman brought a bright yellow box all the way from Brazil!!
So exciting -- like Christmas!!
Look at all these little gems -- charming owl buttons, three hunks of fabric that will push me outside my box, and a bag of sweet treats (those yellow squares are yummy peanut confections).
When I pulled the white tissue open, there was a modern wallhanging with three funky "kaffe" birds and lots of quilting!
It's safe to say that Iara picked up on my "bird" thing and her tree full will fit perfectly with my studio art which consists mainly of three large Charley Harper bird posters
Each one has embroidered details and of course, they will all need named. 
They remind me of the antpittas I saw in Costa Rica, so I "googled" to see if there are antpittas in Brazil -- yes!!
So the thinking has begun!!
 
It was my first mini-swap and getting mine was the most fun!!  I can see why quilters get hooked on these.  I'm not going to join another one this fall but after the first of the year, I might look around for another one.
 
Off to a stitching retreat this weekend.  No doubt I have packed more than I'll accomplish but one of them is a "stack & whack" that has been cut out for several years and after looking at it laying on my work table for a month, I've had a brainstorm and made a sketch!!  Hopefully, I'll be sharing the first looks at it with you next week.
 
I hope there is some stitching time in your weekend!
 
Mary Huey
 

4 comments:

  1. What a fun and thoughtful surprise to get! I can't wait to see what you've worked on over the weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your KF mini swap piece the first time I saw it on your post and pleased it has now found a good home!
    Your funky birds from Brazil is so different and a treat to see. Can you tell me is the KF Mini Swap is held on a regular basis and if so who is the contact? I would love to join in one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little wall hanging and such a lot of goodies that came with it! Lucky Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours looked like a great swap, Mary. You made and received something lovely.
    I get so caught up in the fun of planning and making things to send I often forget something is coming back to me until the parcel arrives.

    ReplyDelete