Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Short and Sweet

I'm currently part of Hive #7 of the Stash Bee block swapping group.  Each month we make a few blocks for someone in our hive and as part of the post to let everyone know we've done our blocks for the month, we answer a question posed by the hive queen for that month.
 
This month's was an interesting one and while I pushed myself to answer it, I'm not sure it's the right answer for me. 
 
The question is "what colors and prints would you add to your stash"?
 
Have you seen my stash?  There's plenty of depth to it -- I estimate it tops out around 2500 yards of fabric collected over the past 35 years. 
There are just bits from the very early years and probably 50% lives on these shelves that are my color palette.  The rest is comprised of "style" groups -- 30's, Civil War, florals, etc.
 
So what was my answer?
 
Since I had a shop to stock and a budget to manage, I add new fabric to my stash first to fill gaps -- right now that that includes true greens and dark purples.
I'll always be a sucker for a great bird print.
Bees really get my attention, too.
I love all the modern prints but I don't buy much because I have noticed that I struggle with merging them into what I already own.  I'm not sure if it's the color or the print style that holds me back.
 
I need to think about this more but I thought it would be interesting to pose the same question to all of you.  What are you adding to your stash and how do you decide? 
Impulse or plan?
 
Mary Huey
 

9 comments:

  1. I'm trying to add brights to my stash. This is a slow process because I'm trying to only buy if I know what I'm going to do with it. You are right, it is hard to mix the leftovers into the already existing stash. I've quit purchasing civil war and jewel tones. Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Gretchen -- it's a slow process and that's good to keep in mind -- patience!!
      Thanks for participating in this discussion!!

      Delete
  2. Great question Mary. For me I buy what appeals to me in terms of style and colour. I rarely have a plan for what I buy so I guess you would have to say I am an impulse buyer in that if I see something that tickles my fancy I usually buy it. My thinking is that if I buy what I love then it will work together and it usually does.

    I like the modern prints too but find that they don't really work with my stash which tends to be a mix of Civil War, reproduction prints and Jacobean floral type prints. As of late I am smitten with gradient prints and wavy stripes both of which are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input, Karen -- I imagine you visualizing how you will use a print when considering whether you will buy it!

      Delete
  3. Good question, Mary. I've essential stopped adding to my stash in the last three years as I try to get it under control. If I buy for a project, it's after I've gone through my stash and pulled what will work and then go to the store and buy what else I need. Usually it is background or bits for sashing and applique. So I guess I buy with a plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was Jane's question. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in the discussion!

      Delete
  4. Lately I've been drawn to low volume prints, with a vague plan to incorporate them into scrappy backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me, too -- I've built up quite a pile of "text" prints -- all black on white and am enjoying using them!! Feels very trendy??

      Delete
  5. I combine impulse with planned purchases.
    I have one box of traditional fabrics and keep it separate from the rest of my stash. In my case, none is more than a decade old. Over time, I used or donated anything older than that. I love florals and more traditional styles by designers like 3 Sisters, Minick and Simpson, and Fig Tree, but like you, I recognise that it is hard to mix and match so I dive into separate sections of my stash depending on the project.

    ReplyDelete