Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A FINISHED TEACHING SAMPLE!!

Hooray!!!  It's finished and ready to recruit students!!  First it's going to the preview for the February, 2015 NEORQC Getaway Weekend (I hope it wins over at least 10 students) and then off to The Sew'n Place in Chambersburg, PA where I'll be teaching Machine Piecing Hexagons in November. 
You watched me layer it up a couple weeks ago and I thought you might enjoy a few close-ups of the quilting decisions.  The majority of the center is quilted in a grid based on bisecting each hexie from corner to corner.  I jazzed up the center of the flower motifs with a pumpkin seed flower -- there is still a stray thread to be tied off.  I thought it helped focus the eye on the "center" of each motif.
The center went quickly and was done in three days.  The design for the border slowed me down -- fortunately I also had to leave town for a few days at the same time.  When I got back, I decided to loosely base the quilting on the design of the border print which has lots of swirls.  A spasm of boredom with "swirling" resulted in the straight line section in this photo.  I liked it so much that I repeated it randomly the rest of the way around the quilt.
It's doesn't show up much even on the back but it was fun to work into the swirls and gave me a break here and there from thinking so hard.
This morning I bound it -- no simple task in my studio because first I have to convince Gordon that it's my turn to use the chair!  (Once I get him off, I'm always grateful for the warm seat he has left behind!)
As I was joining the ends of the binding, I was reflecting on how nice it is to be able to do this join without searching for the instructions -- I've done it so many times, it's easy now.  It wasn't always!!
And here we are at the end!!  Wahoo!!  Another one finished!!
The quilt top was constructed using Marti Michell's 2" hexagon template from Set G and the instructions from my DVD, Set-In Piecing Simplified.  The reviews I getting from the DVD are good -- students understand the demos and are able to learn the technique.  Do you have a copy of it yet?
 
Mary Huey
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment