Wednesday, April 30, 2014

April Finishes!!

Just in the nick of time to share them at A Lovely Year of Finishes 2014!!  I didn't post any goals at the beginning of the month but thought trying to meet the goal of having some finishes this month would be good for me just the same!!

It feels like I've been doing more starting than finishing lately, but in fact, when I went back through my daily log, I've actually only started 8 projects since the beginning of the year and 4 of those are part of my YTD tally of 14 finishes.  So when I fiddle around with some math, I think I've made a dent of -6 in the UFQ column.

As usual it was deadlines that got me moving and I quilted two pieces over the past couple weeks to meet those.  Then while visiting my younger daughter and her family in Pennsylvania this weekend, I finished the bindings!

This is a lap robe for a young friend graduating from high school this spring.  He's an outdoor fellow so I think the fabrics and colors will suit him.  Do you recognize the blocks?  I made them from a "sacred" stack of fat quarters this winter and wrote about them here.
 I kept the quilting very simple -- wavy lines criss-crossing the quilt with a double line randomly.  Fancy stitching would have taken longer and not shown up much on such a busy assortment of fabrics.
This is the second quilt -- a crib size that I made from repurposed pieces of a very old UFQ -- wrote about that adventure here.  I intended it for a charity donation, but my grand daughter took a shine to it and asked for it, so . . . . . .
I love the pattern that evolved around the yellow "border" as I was quilting it.  Need to document it for future use!! 
And my third finish was a dress for my granddaughter.  It met with her approval and had already been worn twice by the time I left for home.  I must say, for someone who majored in clothing in college and has done some pretty elaborate sewing, pattern instructions sometimes baffle me these days.
And this is my BIG start for April, but it's a "caught up".  It's the first block from Karen at Faeries and Fibres for her new EPP hexie QAL which she is calling a Value Proposition.  I started putting the background row of hexies around it last evening.  One down, seventeen to go!
Now the challenge is on to maintain the finishing momentum through May!! 
 
Mary Huey
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment